The Travels of Johnny Thunder

Hello, Johnny Thunder here. Welcome to my travel journal. You may have seen me and my friends in some of our other adventures. From Egypt to Asia; from the Lost World to the Amazon; we've been everywhere. Now, however, I would like to extend an invitation to join me on a tour through the real world. Check back here for pictures from my latest travels... -JT

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Joshua Tree 2008



One year ago, Johnny explored Joshua Tree National Park. This year, Johnny and Pippin returned to the desert to explore the areas he missed on his last journey. Rather than focusing on the natural wonders, this time I explored the manmade sites located in the park, including: Keys Ranch, a early 20th century homestead; and the Lost Horse Mine.

Also, while in the area, Pippin and I caught a glimpse of the Salton Sea, an artificially created inland sea (you can read more about it here) and visited Pioneertown, a live-in motion picture set.

On the way to Joshua Tree, Pippin and I stopped briefly at Manzanar National Historic Site, site on an internment camp, high in the Sierra Mountains, for the Japanese in World War 2. Almost nothing is left, but there is a replica of a guard tower.

After leaving the desert, we made a short detour, in an attempt to see some ancient bristlecone pine trees. Sadly, due to the new snowfall, we were unable to see the truly ancient trees and had to settle for viewing some of their younger siblings. More on the bristlecones can be found here.

Oh yes, and we caught a showing of the new Indiana Jones flick.

Until next time, Happy Travels!
-JT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home