The Travels of Johnny Thunder

Hello, Johnny Thunder here. Welcome to my travel journal. You may have seen me and my friends in some of our other adventures. From Egypt to Asia; from the Lost World to the Amazon; we've been everywhere. Now, however, I would like to extend an invitation to join me on a tour through the real world. Check back here for pictures from my latest travels... -JT

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Route 66 and the Southwest



Getting my kicks on Route 66...

As alluded to in my last post, Pippin and I picked up Route 66 in Texas and followed it for the remainder of our journey, through the land of antelope, squirrels, lizards and dinosaurs.

The classic highway led us through Albequerque, New Mexico, where we saw ancient native american petroglyphs, at Petroglyph National Monument.

From the petroglyphs we continued west to El Morro, where we saw carvings in the rock face of a mesa. This one is from 1709 and if you look closely, you can see the date. We also climbed to the top of the mesa, where natives used to dwell.

Leaving El Morro, we travelled west a bit and spent the night in a teepee at another Route 66 icon: the Wigwam Motel.

Leaving our Teepee, we trekked to the Painted Desert (the picture really doesn't do justice to the colors) and saw the petrified trees of Petrified Forest National Park.

From the Petrified Forest, we made a quick jaunt to Arizona's second most famous hole in the ground: Meteor Crater.

Back on our way west again, we visited Walnut Canyon and explored the pueblo cliff dwellings and the lower portions of the canyon.

Then it was on to Arizona's most famous hole in the ground: the Grand Canyon. As you can see, a storm was coming in.

Leaving the Grand Canyon, we made the last stop of our journey at Hoover Dam, including a tour into the dam's inner workings.

And that is the last of my lost travels,
Until next time, Happy Travels!
-JT

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home